Wednesday 25 January 2012

Session

Nothing focuses the mind like session playing in a studio. Playing live you never pay much attention to slightly sloppy timing, less than perfect pitch and the odd fluffed note. In the studio everything has to be as near perfect as possible without becoming mechanical and losing soul. The pressure sits fairly heavy sometimes as time is money and the quicker you get a good take the sooner you can move on. Today I was at a home studio so there wasn't that time pressure but the song had some pretty interesting changes that took a bit of concentration to get right. As the track passed the instrumental break and entered the last quiet vocal section I knew I had cracked it. I played it out and despite the one fluff I made early on it was a good take. I wanted to go one more time but between the first and second take the guy was really pleased. The rough mix sounds good.

No comments:

Post a Comment